Friday, October 22, 2010

2 New Pieces

Comic Tragedy (October 3, 2010)

This role is like none I’ve ever played before.
The cues are unfamiliar and memorization holds no sway in the lines I deliver.
Improvisation reigns.
Yet I am not the first to play this role and I will not be the last.
Bur right now, in this moment, the role is mine and I must play it as I see fit.
And if the audience disapproves
because it cannot
or will not understand,
such is the risk of the role.
I play it for my own satisfaction, to my own pleasure.
The only approval I seek is my own and that of the one who plays opposite me.
And as the production plays out,
from it comes growth,
from it comes happiness,
from it comes life.
The fruits of my playing prosper and no standing ovation can replace it, for that is my all.
This role is like none I’ve ever played before,
Yet I shall play it ‘til the end, until my final curtain call.


Wide Open and Bright-Eyed (October 6, 2010)

Nothing could have prepared me
for the joyous love I’ve known
since you opened up those eyes
that said you were my own.

Grey as a misty rain
and blue as the calming sea—
Changing tides they rise and fall
and light up just for me.

And the stories they’ve told and the stories they’ll tell
are the ones in which words have no need.
For your eyes have a voice which can fully express
all your thoughts and your wants which I heed.

Wide as the west from east
and bright as a rising sun
are the eyes so full of love
of my young and little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment